Friday, April 23, 2010

Where Technology is Going and My Experience in Intro to Lit

There is much concern as to where our country is headed. Technology today is being accepted into every part of our lives. Sure we can see this as beneficial because it allows us to do more with less effort. However, when it begins to invade our privacy, those endless benefits begin to have an opportunity cost. That is,we begin to lose our most sacred rights like personal privacy which also effects our freedom. The video we watched in class on Tuesday shocked me as to what was available in terms of identification technology. I would have never thought a person could be identified with a retna scanner or that a micro chip could be implanted under your skin. This sounds awfully like M.T. Anderson's novel "Feed". I think the similarities between this world and that in "Feed" are becoming more alike all the time. These microchips could easily be used for other purposes like location tracking.
As I look back at the class, I realize how much I learned. I think it has opened my eyes and I realize just what I need to look out for. I've also learned the importance of reading books. I never knew that I might enjoy to read and also never thought I could sit down and read a hundred pages. I highly doubt that I will be looking at spark notes for just the plain facts when I can read the book and get the entire experience of it. Sure spark notes is good to clarify things but I clearly did not know what I was missing by not even bothering to read the book.

2 comments:

  1. It is horrible that people have to have chips in them to just say and tell people who they are! It shows that we are so relient on technology for our everyday needs! I learned a lot in this class too, and really enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that all of the technological advancements can be a good thing, but at the same time they can be bad. they can be a huge help, but they can also take away a lot of the things we favor the most like privacy and freedom

    ReplyDelete