Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Dumbest Generation?

Though it seems logical to think that because all this technology can help us perform tasks easier, we are dumber, there is more to the argument. As technology keeps becoming more widely available to us, I believe we need additional skills to be able to use it. Just look at the jobs that have been created. Instead of having to buy or inconveniently find a newspaper to read, which again in my opinion, few under the age of thirty would do, we can set Google news as our homepage and get those headlines the second we start up an internet browser. Its convenient and because everything is right there, some of us might actually take advantage of this.

However, I have to agree with some of what Mark Bauerlein said in "The Dumbest Generation". I think he was spot on when he said how much our generation is only interested in each other. Surveys don't lie and the facts show that our generation is falling behind. But you have to ask yourself, how is this my fault? In my opinion it is the parent's responsibility to educate their sons and daughters of culture, arts, history, so that their children have some knowledge before they enter public education. This leads me to my next point. Though some parents may be at fault, clearly our public education system needs a revising. You barely need to try anymore in high school to pass and the only reason to be in high school is to get out of it. This is even true in college which most kids go to just to get a degree. Few actually pay thousands a year because they want to learn something. We basically only care about what we think is important.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree that for me it is much easier just to turn on your computer and look at the news online instead of spending time looking through a newspaper than having to dispose of the newspaper. And yes, most kids including me are just at college to get that degree and the only reason I want to high school was because I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do agree. Ask a lot of students why they are in college and they will tell you "to be successful" or something along those lines. Most people to go to college for further education because they want it, they know they need it. Technology makes us a very lazy generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not agree with that fact that you said you barley have to try in high school any more. There are those classes that people take that are really easy, but then there are the advanced placement classes as well. It just shows how divided and how you cannot just call us the dumbest generation because we all do not perform the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct. Someone has to plant the seed into our minds for it to grow. Otherwise we will lead ourselves. We will do and read only what we want to, which will most likely be Cosmopolitan or facebook picture comments.

    ReplyDelete